Thursday, June 16, 2005

Everyone has them, those moments when you feel as if you're walking on air. Sixty seconds where you say to yourself 'God I love this city, I don't want to be anywhere else'. They are so definitive, and truthful. Such moments of clarity. It almost feels like being captured during a game of hide and seek. Stumbling upon a percussionist, pounding superbly on his flimsy instruments in the street, I had one of those today. And following, many of the others came rushing back to me. Walking down 6th street, gazing at all the Indian restaurants and their beaming lights and colors, that feeling of unity and the eye contact made with other train passengers when a complete lunatic walks on shouting and flailing about, the smell of a dark, damp, off, off, off broadway theatre, finding the all too perfect cute, eclectic shoe that fits and is on sale, the way the sun sets on the gold domed roof atop this certain building downtown. One of my favorites of these moments was walking home last summer after seeing a documentary. A particular film I had been long awaiting for.(I only regret that I didn't smuggle in some red wine or a beer to have my own private toast during.) It was a hot, steamy summer day, the kind that just begs for the thunderstorm you know is lurking. I had missed the storm completely, and when walking home the air was, if possible, even steamier with massive puddles everywhere that I puposefully walked trhough. I meandered, my pace slow and casual instead of the standard New York-borderline-sprint, appreciating the heat after freezing in the cold a/c of the theatre, musing over the experience and just existing in the moment. Taking delight in all I have learned by living here.
It is ironic to me, how some of the best times to be had in this city are, without a doubt, experienced alone.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

i remember having days like this. being overwhelmed by just walking down the streets of downtown chicago, enjoying the weather and taking it all in. i completely understand such moments. you have described yours so vividly, i love it. and you know what's strange, some of my moments have been alone as well. is it because the silence (no one else talking to us) allows us to be more aware of everything, the simple things, and therefore we are able to process it all? maybe.

12:43 AM  
Blogger DeeM said...

I think that's a huge part of it. Or at least, being by yourself forces you to be completely engrossed in the moment.

11:17 AM  
Blogger stella said...

"just existing in the moment"

i love this. it reminds me of the quiet moments that catch you off guard and you feel so at one and at home in the city.

stated so beautifully zen-like. :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Jaxe said...

Its truly a spiritual experience when something like that happens...like everything is in sync, and you are breathing like one with your environment. Appreciate these moments. Remember: The journey IS the reward. :-)

4:43 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Jaxe, thanks for coming by and for all your great comments. You've made my day. Your voice on those tracks have inspired me.

5:04 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Sometimes, you get away alone in the city and get caught up in it.

4:17 AM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

that was a wonderful moment you have described there.

12:44 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Yes, so true, A.

Gulnaz, I never had those moments anywhere else. When I started having them here, I knew I was finally home.

2:00 PM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

that is by far one of the best description of home, i think.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jaxe said...

Your welcome, friend. A pleasure as well. Be safe! I'll be around ;-)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

nicely put. I figure most of us should feel this way most of the time if it weren't for random crap distracting us. kicking those distractions, that's the trick of it. I'd like to get better at it, because I'm a better person when I feel like that... less likely to snarl at strangers and more likely to pet bunnies.

oh, hell, I'll pet bunnies any day. but you take my meaning.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty cool when one's life synchronizes with one's environment like that. hope it happens again soon. i'm usually alone when it happens too, i think if you're with someone its harder to tune in to your surroundings that well.

10:57 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Thanks again, Gulnaz. btw, beautful photo.

Monkey, I like that, what you said. I'm a better person at those times also. Awe, bunnies. I wish I had a pet bunny.

Hi Tim, thanks for coming by. I definitely agree with you. :)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

I have one. she's not really very fond of humans; she basically thinks my purpose in life is to provide her with veggies. not entirely inaccurate, I suppose.

I learned the hard way NEVER to pick her up without a shirt on.

nevernevernevernevernever. that was some years ago. I don't have the scar anymore, but it took a while.

she is extremely soft, however.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home